Admission to the School of Education
To be considered for admission into the program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Complete university admission requirements to include submission of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- Teacher Candidates must complete and sign all application material listed below by the specified deadlines. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Application for Admission into the Teacher Education Program (Incomplete applications will not be accepted) Application Deadline - Fall entry into the program - March 14th Spring entry into the program - October 12th
- Verification Receipt of UAFS School of Education Teacher Candidate Manual (This form is verification that the teacher candidate has read the Teacher Candidate Manual. The manual can be found on the School of Education website under Student Resources.)
UAFS Educator’s Affirmation
CANDIDATE FIELD EXPERIENCE, PRACTICA, and INTERNSHIP WAIVER forms
Degree Plan completed and signed by the teacher candidate and faculty advisor (Secondary Ed. Majors Only)
- Satisfactory Arkansas Child Maltreatment Background Check
- Complete the following courses: EDUC 2752 Introduction to Education; ENGL 1203 Composition I; ENGL 1213 Composition II; SPCH 1203 Introduction to Speech Communication; and appropriate Mathematics course noted on degree plan.
- Required grade of “C” or better in all course work completed on the degree plan.
- Have minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all college course work (including transfer work and developmental courses) and be in good academic standing.
- Pass Reading, Writing, and Mathematics components of the Praxis Core Test.
- Arkansas Department of Education Licensure Rules allow the following scores to be used in place of Praxis Core: In lieu of the state-approved basic skills assessment, an applicant may substitute:
1-22.214.171.124 A minimum composite score of 24 on the ACT with scores of at least 22 in each of the Reading, Mathematics, and either a 22 on the English/Writing section or a passing score on the Praxis Core Writing Section; or
1-126.96.36.199 A minimum SAT composite score of 1650 in combined Math and Critical Reading, and Writing, with a minimum score of 510 in each of the Math, Critical Reading, and Writing sections.
- Teacher Candidates must have a satisfactory disciplinary record with the university, and a satisfactory Child Maltreatment report. (Teacher Candidates are required to have a satisfactory Child Maltreatment report from DHS (Department of Human Services) before going in to the public and/or private schools to complete observation hours.
- Teacher Candidates are expected to demonstrate a professional attitude and interest related to the School of Education’s stated Teacher Education Dispositions. If applicable, candidates must have resolved the nature of any and all reports of negative behaviors.
- A satisfactory interview evaluation is required. This includes assessment of a teacher candidate’s essential professional competencies. This also includes subjective assessments relating to candidates’ ability to address the learner and learning, instructional practices, content knowledge, and professional responsibilities.
** You will not be scheduled for an interview until the application is on file by the deadline date and the Praxis Core test has been passed.Remember to check your campus email frequently for information about scheduling your interview.
** Materials and guidance are available for candidates to prepare for the Praxis Core Test. Teacher Candidates should consult their advisor for information as to how to access study materials.
** Passing Praxis Core scores are required to be on file with the Office of Teacher Education by the application due date. It is your responsibility to make sure the School of Education receives your Praxis Core Score Report and/or ACT Scores prior to completing the admission process.
Requirements for admission may change over time. Teacher Candidates must meet admission requirements current at the time of their final application for admission to the teacher education program. The requirements listed above are current as of June 2016. Please consult with your advisor should you have questions regarding admission requirements.