Mathematics with Teacher Licensure 7-12
Preparing future teachers to make a significant difference in the lives of students in the secondary schools of our region is a priority of the Mathematics Department. There is a very high demand for mathematics teachers in nearly every part of our nation. Highly qualified secondary and middle-level mathematics teachers are perhaps the most critical component in maintaining America’s preeminence in science and technology.
Skills and Characteristics
- Deep understanding of mathematics that enhances your ability to explain the subject to others
- Creativity in reaching a wide variety of students with diverse learning styles
- Adaptability to changes in students, schools, subject matter, and the community
- Ability to work with young people
- Good communication skills
- Ability to inspire trust and confidence
- Ability to engage and motivate students
- Emotional stability and maturity
- Ability toe use technology effectively
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate competency in content knowledge of undergraduate mathematics.
- Students will be able to apply mathematics to the solution of a problem and be able to effectively communicate the solution.
- Public school systems
- Private school systems
- Adult education centers
- Tutoring and supplementary education centers
- Professional training organizations
- Numerous job openings each year
Salary and Outlook
According to the 2011-12 Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, the approximate average salary for mathematics teachers nationally was $53,920 and the approximate average salary for the state of Arkansas was $43,580. Secondary education is a large employment category that is expected to grow. Salaries and outlook for mathematics majors with teacher licensure vary, depending upon the school district and your level of education.
Websites for Career Research
Advising and Career Services
Students may also visit our Career Services website. This website provides additional career exploration and campus resources for review.